About Me

My photo
My name is Melanie Nunez. I am currently a junior at Mount Saint Mary College. I am a History major seeking a certification in Early Childhood and Childhood Education. I am so excited for this semester, and I can't wait to learn how to implement different technology into my future classroom when teaching Science and Social Studies!

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

First Day of Teaching Fourth Grade

Today my group was the very first group to teach direct instruction to 4th graders about Botany and the plants organelles. I was so nervous because this was my first time ever teaching a class. We began the lesson by introducing ourselves and stating the classroom rules, which I think is so important for students to know. My part of the lesson was to teach the students three organelles (Mitochondria, Golgi body, and Ribosomes). Before I began explaining the functions of each organelle to the students I stated the word first, and then I had them repeat it after me. Repetition is very important when teaching children especially when words are difficult to pronounce. It teaches children to retain all the information that they are being taught. After I had the students repeat the word once or twice I then explained the definition and made sure that they knew where each organelle is located in a plant cell. After I explained all three of these organelles I had some students come up to board to show me where each organelle was located in the plant cell as a review of what I just taught. This review allowed the students to learn about each part and what it does and where each organelle is located in a plant cell. My favorite part of this lesson was the closure where we played a rap song about the plant organelles and the children absolutely loved it! The rap song was about all 9 of the organelles that we taught the students and what their functions are. Although I feel that I still have so much to learn about teaching this was a great experience. It allowed me to learn about myself as a future teacher and what I need to work on to become the best teacher that I can be.



No comments:

Post a Comment